FANTASTIC FOUNDATIONS with Lyanne Young
SUPPORTING CHILDREN’S DEVELOPMENT IN COMMUNICATION, LANGUAGE AND LITERACY IN THE EARLY YEARS
“Throughout the last academic year I have been privileged to spend time with amazing children and talented practitioners in a wide range of early years settings. Creating a sharing community, encouraging professional dialogues and the development of case studies as opposed to data, were high on the agenda for our Early Years Project group. I am very pleased to now be able to share the outcomes of this project during this new, one day training course titled – Fantastic Foundations.“
Lyanne Young, Education Development Officer.
The FANTASTICs are a key component of Jane Considine’s systems for teaching reading and writing to primary aged pupils. This full day of training will explore ways practitioners can use the FANTASTICs to support children in early years settings as they acquire language, develop vocabulary and begin to construct sentences. During the day, delegates will explore ways to introduce the FANTASTICs into a language rich environment and also how they can be used to directly extend children’s vocabulary. Practical ideas, anecdotes from real settings and case studies will be used to show the positive impact the FANTASTICs can have. As the day progresses delegates will discover how the FANTASTICs can also be used to effectively support the development of comprehension skills and written composition. The ideas and activities shared during this day are designed to be embedded within a curriculum of rich and varied experiences.
- Develop practitioners understanding of the FANTASTICs and how they can be used effectively to develop both the number of words children know and their understanding of relationships between words.
- Explore how to use the FANTASTICs effectively within a language rich learning environment where adults use the nine lenses to support an appropriate ratio of questions to comments.
- Discover how to use the FANTASTICs in conjunction with experiences, artefacts and images to spark interest, model language and encourage talk.
- Investigate ways the FANTASTICs can be used to support language and comprehension skills during shared reading, storytelling and role play.
- Develop an understanding of the ‘Word Collector’ technique for explicitly modelling effective language and extending children’s vocabulary.
- Understand how to support pupils as they progress to formulating sentences, combining ideas and attempting more difficult structures.
- Explore ways to motivate pupils to engage in purposeful mark making and understand when and how to use modelling to support children with writing.
- Gain an understanding of how to explicitly model sentence construction for writing, breaking down the process into small chunks that children can then attempt to apply independently.
AND FINALLY, FOR WHEN CHILDREN ARE READY…
- Understand how to create an appropriate teaching sequence that combines and models the above using the ‘slow reveal’ approach to explore a text and compose ideas for writing.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- EYFS practitioners
- Year 1 teachers
- Literacy Leaders
- Deputy Head teachers
- Head teachers
ABOUT LYANNE YOUNG
Lyanne Young is the Education Development Officer here at The Training Space. She is an experienced Deputy Head teacher with a proven record in whole school improvement. She has coached and mentored subject leaders, individual teachers, NQTS and EYFS practitioners to develop their skills and improve their practice. Once described by an HMI inspector as a naturally gifted teacher, she has a creative approach to teaching and learning and is keen to share her wealth of experience to support others.
If you have any questions about this course, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Call: 01536 410078 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Year: September 2018 – 2019
Kettering • Manchester
Please scroll down and select the course closest to you
Special Booking Offer
Book four delegates from the same school on one conference and only pay for three places. Discount will be applied to your invoice.