During this one day training course, Jane Considine will guide teachers through the process of planning and teaching to non-fiction genres. Building upon the foundations shared during The Write Stuff course, Jane will explicitly demonstrate her highly effective, tried and tested methods to enhance pupil’s non-fiction writing outcomes.
This course will further explore the concepts and ideas relating to non-fiction that are featured in Jane Considine’s best-selling book, The Write Stuff. This includes detailed explanations of the ‘reveal all’ approach for teaching non-fiction writing and guidance on the important step of ‘finding the shape’ before attempting to craft a range of sentence structures. Jane’s systems for teaching non-fiction writing have given teachers the confidence to plan and deliver effective non-fiction units, literally transforming non-fiction writing outcomes for pupils across the primary phase.
- Understand the features of non-fiction text types and how to teach them by combining teacher modelling, supported practice and opportunities for independence.
- Strengthen subject knowledge of the vocabulary, sentence structures and grammatical techniques pupils will need to create high quality non-fiction outcomes.
- Develop a shared understanding of the ‘The Three Zones of Writing’ and how they relate to non-fiction.
- Explore in detail how to build logical non- fiction units of work that build writing over time, developing both pupil’s writing stamina and high quality outcomes.
- Understand the concept of Sentence Stacking and learn how to maximise its impact for non-fiction writing.
- Grasp how to effectively support children’s transition from guided, teacher modelled sessions to independent writing, enabling pupils to apply their learning and demonstrate their non-fiction writing skills.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- Teaching Assistants
- Key stage 1 & 2 Teachers
- English Subject Leaders
- Curriculum Managers
- Senior Leaders
ABOUT JANE CONSIDINE
Jane Considine, author of The Write Stuff and Hooked on Books, has provided education consultancy to schools for over 18 years. Her expertise in the teaching of literacy has enabled her to help teachers all over the UK to raise the outcomes of their pupils. Jane’s presentation style, combined with her in-depth knowledge, ignites enthusiasm in teachers and pupils alike.